Arbor – a shelter of vines or branches or of latticework covered with climbing shrubs or vines.
Etum – denoting a collection or plantation of trees or other plants.
Arbor-etum - a botanical house devoted to trees and plants.
Vision: A hub for environmental stewardship social and individual wellbeing. A space for collaboration and the growth of ideas. A creative ecosystem and community for the betterment of the planet.
Our Sustainability Policy:
ARBORETUM aims to integrate a philosophy of sustainable development into all our activities and to establish and promote sound social and environmental practice in our operations.
Our approach is guided by commitments to the following principles: Ethical Leadership, Social Responsibility and Environmental Stewardship.
At ARBORETUM leadership includes our overall mission, ethics, accountability, decisionmaking and transparency.
• We commit to a structure of governance and procedures, which help us, operate for a better planet.
Leadership Pro-active Initiatives:
Sustainability Advisory Board
An advisory board of esteemed sustainability experts has been established to provide a system of accountability for the Club. The advisory board meets once a quarter reviewing the progress of ARBORETUM according to the Guiding Principles.
The Club commits to sharing the supply chain of resources used where possible, providing templates and materials to support other organisations to journey towards consciously-led hospitality.
The Club commits to sharing the stories of suppliers, ingredients and strategies to reduce the environmental impact of hospitality.
At ARBORETUM social responsibility takes into consideration our commitment towards the welfare of our employees, suppliers, customers and the greater communities that are associated with our business.
• We are committed to ensuring that all employees of ARBORETUM, and employees within our supply chain work in safe and hygienic conditions, and are anti-child labour with free-choice employment.
• We are committed to diversity and fair hiring practices. We promote diversity and use hiring practices that are fair, responsible, nondiscriminatory, and non-exploitative for our employees, board members and suppliers
• We are committed to ensuring all employees and suppliers are paid fairly, timely and competitively
• We are dedicated to protecting human rights. We are a committed equal opportunity employer and will abide by all fair labour practices. We’ll ensure that our activities do not directly or indirectly violate human rights in any country (e.g. forced labour).
• We are committed to fostering an inclusive community of members and guests which welcomes and celebrates diverse society. We are taking the ‘private’ out of members clubs.
• ARBORETUM is committed to reducing to the extent practicable the quantity and degree of hazard of the wastes we generate from our operations and handle them in a safe, legal and responsible way to minimise their environmental effects.
• We commit to collaborating with our communities to protect and improve the environment.
Social Pro-active Initiatives:
Well-being Class access to team members
We are committed to ensuring that our employees can freely join in their preferred workshops by certified practitioners to help alleviate any stresses from their day-today lives.
Supporting Female Entrepreneurs
The Club commits to creating a forum for female entrepreneurs which provides a platform for networking, meeting inspirational role models as well as practical support and introductions.
Addressing youth unemployment
The Club commits to an apprentice scheme which will provide opportunities for young people to be trained in hospitality skills and then be supported into permanent positions.
Events that make a difference
We are committed to producing events that have a positive impact on the wellbeing of our customers and community, both locally and digitally.
Environmental stewardship at ARBORETUM takes into account our commitment to measuring our environmental impact and ensuring that we are making positive steps to improve practices.
• The Club commits to minimising and reducing the environmental footprint of all operations.
• Conserving natural resources by reusing and recycling whenever possible.
• ARBORETUM commits to helping our members, staff and wider community find ways to reduce their environmental impact and proactively find means to support activities for a better planet.
• ARBORETUM will participate in efforts to improve environmental protection and understanding.
• Enhancing awareness among our employees, volunteers, and users – educating and motivating them to act in an environmentally responsible manner.
• As a minimum, suppliers, sites and growers must comply with the requirements of all local and international environmental laws and regulations including having necessary permits.
Environmental stewardship Initiatives:
ARBORETUM Climate Challenge Week 11th to 18th July
ARBORETUM will host Climate Challenge Week in which members, staff and the wider community will replace travel or commutes with walking, cycling or carpooling. With a focus on transport, participants can contribute to a Million Miles Challenge of reducing the impact of their travel. This initiative will also fundraise for climate change charities with every pound saved from these donated to the chosen charity. The week will be accompanied by programming showcasing other ways to reduce environmental impact day-to-day and inspirational activities that members can join for example a sailing expedition to support ocean-cleaning projects.
This initiative would become an annual event with different charities being supported every year.